1) Initially what would you imagine a person who steals books to be like?
Untrustworthy? Mysterious? Evil? How does Liesel differ from your initial notions of who a “book thief would be”?
2) Explain how these early experiences in Liesel’s life would have affected her as a child? What do these early references to Liesel indicate about how she is going to interact with others? What will be her goals/ objectives in life? What
conflicts/difficulties may she have as she matures?
3) Why are books and words so important to Liesel? How does she learn that words can be used for good and for evil?
4) Why does Liesel vow that she will never kiss Rudy?
5) How does Max’s experience in Nazi Germany alter how Liesel views her own
6) Liesel continues to steal books throughout the novel. Why is this act importantto her? What purpose does it serve?
7) Does Liesel live a fulfilled life? What does she ultimately teach us in the novel?